Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Breakfast time

I love breakfast! I make my own muesli and have it with whatever fruit is around at the time, and a generous serving of low fat milk.
The breakfast below has a satsuma plum, half a Bolero apple, and a handful of blueberries, all grown on my section with no chemicals. Yummmmmm!

My muesli recipe:
DE LUXE TOASTED MUESLI
½ cup oil
½ cup honey
7 cups rolled oats
1 cup coconut
1 cup bran flakes
1 cup wheatgerm
½ cup oat bran
½ cup sunflower seeds
½ cup chopped nuts
¼ cup sesame seeds
1 teaspn cinnamon
½ cup raisins
¼ cup chopped dried apricots
¼ cup chopped dried pineapple

Heat oil and honey together. In a large roasting dish combine the oats, coconut, bran flakes, wheatgerm, oat bran, sunflower seeds, nuts, sesame seeds and cinnamon. Pour over the oil and honey mixture and mix well. Bake at 130°C for one hour, stirring occasionally. When cool, add the apricots, pineapple and raisins. Store in an airtight container. Makes 13 cups of muesli.

I toast mine without the oil and honey, and I don't add dried apricots or pineapple to cut down the sugar intake.