Monday, February 4, 2013

Garlic bread

Garlic is a great thing to have in the garden! I plant it around the tomatoes to keep the bugs away (pity it doesn't work on birds - they love to peck the red tomatoes!) and copiously around the apples for the same reason - in this case the moth that attacks apples.

When I harvest it - about now - I lay it out on the barbecue table to dry and then string it up in bunches in the shed. I've still got some from last year - it's time it was used, so I'm tossing it into every savoury meal. I love garlic and it's great for heart health.

My herbs are rampant at the moment too, so my loaf of bread this week was this recipe from George Dale's book "Daley Bread"

Garlic Bread

1.25 cups water
.75 teaspoon gluten flour
3teaspoons fresh herbs (I used basil - green and purple - rosemary, thyme, sage)
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons raw sugar
.75 cup wholemeal flour
2.25 cups high grade flour
3 teaspoons dried yeast for breadmaker machines

This is a 750g (1.5 lb) loaf, 'regular' setting on my machine.

Smells divine! Pity we haven't got a smell option on the Internet!!