Saturday, April 6, 2013

Soup Weather!

Mmmmm the house smells so good! It's raining and I'm feeling like soup for dinner, so it's on the simmer.

My favourite soup is made from the carcass and left overs of a roast chicken, and I've had these bits in the freezer for a couple of months. Each time I make this soup it's different, depending on what's in the garden or freezer, but this is today's soup. I always make a great big pot of it, and freeze it in lunch lots for work.
Lunch sized containers of soup in the freezer

MARIE'S ROAST CHICKEN SOUP
Put the carcass and left overs of a roast chicken into a big pot, add plenty of water, a bit of salt, and herbs to make stock. I've added sage, rosemary and basil, and a couple of deseeded chilli peppers. Bring to boil, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Take off heat and allow to cool. Strain, making sure you keep any bits of chicken flesh, but discarding bones etc.
Return to the pot and add half a cup of lentils (soup mix type), stirring as it comes to the boil. Add lots of chopped vegetables - today I've added
4 onions,
6 carrots,
1 parsnip,
3 stalks celery
2 tomatoes
1 bell pepper
2cloves garlic
Just what was available in the garden and fridge.
Oh and a container of cooked pumpkin I had in the freezer.

Simmer gently until everything is cooked and the house smells wonderful!
Put through a blender or use a stick blender. Taste and adjust seasonings. And voila!